Saturday, July 6, 2013

THE Table!

I love to be outside! Growing up in the Midwest you learn to love being outside no matter what the seasons may bring, but we only have a short "sit on your deck" season and I like to make the most of it!

We have had various "patio" tables over the years - some from the store, but most were makeshift creations. That was my doing. I couldn't decide on a style I liked nor did I want us to spend the money. Some call me frugal ... my husband most of the time calls me 'cheap'. I will admit, I would rather find a way not to spend money, but when it comes to items like these, I like to see how creative I can get with as little as possible, spending as little as possible.

So, for this first entry, let me give you a little history. Pallets seem to be all the craze and I have seen so many ideas for them, including building a patio table. So, last year, I had ONE pallet. One pallet doesn't do much, but I took a HUGE planter I had and set the pallet on top of it. It was definitely the topic of conversation and not in a good way. So, this summer I had an idea ... imagine that!

My idea came from the types of patio tables I gravitated towards at the stores. I was finally able to nail down what style I liked and then started brainstorming. Tiles ... I liked the look of a table with tiles. They sold in the store for about $500 with chairs and I certainly thought I could make it for far much less than that. So, the search began. I thought it would be easy to find a rectangle table at a garage sale or a thrift store, but the ONLY one I saw was one that was warped. Even I know warped is not a good thing!

As I began to explain to my husband what I was looking to try to do, he came to my rescue as he always does (and brings me back to reality, as he says). He is the master at making my creations into the amazing treasures I want them to be.


This is the fist time I have shared a step by step process of one of our projects. I will post other projects that we have done, but you will just get to see the finished project, not each step.

The Table....
First, we decided on the size we wanted and got 4x4's to make the base and a sheet of plywood for the top. We had some used 4x4's, but the new ones look so much better.

Next, the edges were framed. The top has a sheet of waterproof membrane, then two layers of thinset.

Of course, it needed to dry and of course, it was going to rain. So... up with the canopy!

Next we laid the tile out in the pattern (going for random) we wanted.

We rented a wet saw for the few cuts we needed.


Then used our trusty spacers and laid it out one more time.

Notice that this picture has two rows that are a different sizes. Word of advice....always make sure you open all the boxes first!

Now, off with the tiles ... again ... and another layer of thinset.

and we quickly placed the tiles back on again.

Just in case it was going to rain we covered it again.

Yay! Sun! and grout! We chose a grout that was called Nutmeg - It matches great!


 It dries pretty fast. After, we worked on getting the haze off.
Time to sand...

And put the pieces in for the holes.

Now, it's time to stain .... ahhhh ... wait a minute, I'm not loving that color...back to the store we go :(

Much better and we are finished!

I love it! It did cost some money, but with the tiles and waterproof membrane being free, we saved a TON of money! It is super heavy, too, so it won't go anywhere when we have those strong winds (lost a gazebo and a couple of tables that way over the years). It is the perfect place to enjoy conversation and laughter with family and friends. Now...what about that deck??? ... hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment