Saturday, May 30, 2015

Let's Paint! Where all good projects begin....

1970
Notice the doors?!
I'm sure many still love the 1970's style, but quite frankly, I'm done with it. Our main bathroom has been stuck in this decade for far too long and it is time to move it to the 21st century. We had a plan for remodeling it, even had a beautiful cabinet and sink picked out at IKEA, but decided we would try to spruce it up a bit with paint first. 

THEN I had an idea, why not take the existing cabinet frame and RESCUE it! I explained it all to my poor jet-lagged husband and soon he caught my vision, even enhanced it and made it all happen! He's the best!

Off to the store we went for paint and supplies only to find ourselves shopping a little more than we intended. I lost count how many trips we made to Lowes, The Home Depot and Menards - WAY TOO MANY TIMES, but finally we had what we needed. 

First we needed to do some dismantling, which can be very therapeutic :)
One of the first things to be taken down was the light fixture. I know the above picture doesn't look like much, but this was the weirdest light bar ever. So happy that it is gone.



The doors needed to go - don't you love them?! Then away with the fake drawer fronts. After they were off it was time to cut out the center pieces.

What happened next landed us in store after store searching .... 


It was clear this lovely piece needed to go!



We had nearly given up on finding the kind of sink we liked, let alone one that fit.  Sink counters only come in 61" not 60 and 3/4" evidently, so it seemed we were going to be stuck with this nice retro piece. Well, that's what I thought - my husband - he had other ideas. 



Out with old, in with the new
~ a 61" sink counter......and his "other ideas" worked!









After many hours of patching, sanding, cutting and painting we have the look we wanted, rescued and restored from nearly nothing! 
 




2 comments: